Saturday, April 7, 2012

How does your garden grow?

When we moved into this house all of the raised beds were in the front. In our neighborhood, that is not at all unusual, but as I prepared to start my veggies this year I kind of freaked about everyone being able to see my flourishing garden.

Ahem... Honestly, I don't want all my neighbors witnessing my first farming attempts in our new home. (It's bad enough they get to observe my less-than-stellar ability to pull into my sidewalk width driveway.) Well, that and I don't want every random stranger strolling down the street to have the opportunity to graze on my hard work like a free-for-all salad bar.

For the past two days, we've been slowly transferring the boxes into the back. So far, two 5x5 boxes have been emptied of their dirt and moved. One has been refilled, although it still needs to have the vermapost added. There are still two more 5x5 and one 4x12 box to relocate.

This year, my goal is to grow the following produce and herbs:
Basil, Beans, Broccoli, Carrots, Cilantro, Cucumbers, Edamame, Green Beans, Head Lettuce, Kale, Mint, Onion, Peas, Peppers, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Snow Peas, Sunflowers, Spinach, Strawberries

Unfortunately, all types of squash have been vetoed by the main cook of the house. Not because he doesn't like squash, but he really doesn't like dealing with the wild, viney mess that it leaves behind. I guess it is something to convince him of for next year.

What is going into your garden this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment